Friday, 13 April 2012

Andy Whiting - Interview

Where did you graduate and what are you doing now?
I graduated with BSc (Hons) Archaeology from Bournemouth University in July 2009. Between 2009 and 2011 I was working part-time in a well known High Street entertainment retailer and volunteering with various heritage organistations. I have since changed sector and now work as a Project Management Assistant in electical/electronics engineering for Aeronautical & General Instruments. We make Visual Landing Aid systems for Aircraft Carriers and naval ships amongst other things.

When you graduated were you looking for a career in archaeology?
By the time I graduated it was the height of the recession and it was clear that finding jobs of any kind was going to be difficult. I was looking at both jobs in archaeology, museums (the heritage sector as a whole) and at roles in different sectors where I could put to use the different skills I had gained. I had settled with myself that I might not have a career in archaeology so I made the most of the time I had during my job search gaining further skills that could be used elsewhere through volunteering with archives, local museums, and on local history and archaeology projects (Poole High Street History Project & Poole Harbour Heritage Project).

How has a degree in archaeology benefited your career?
The degree and the associated volunteering experiences have certainly helped. I think the ability to take in a wide range of information from different sources is a big plus to employers. As is the attention to detail, organisational skills, report writing and use of databases. It is the wide range of experiences that the archaeology degree gave me that helped me into the role I am currently in.

Would you go back into Archaeology later down the line?
I continue to keep my head into archaeology, particularly through absorbing news and research with the aid of Twitter and other web sources. I try to keep a blog of snippets of research I carry out (parenting has a habit of stopping me doing this unfortunately!) and I will continue to volunteer locally when I have time. I am very unlikely to seek paid employment in archaeology but it will rarely be far from my mind. I hope that one day I will be able to dedicate more time to archaeology once again as I truly appreciate the time I spent studying it at university.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview Andy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy Whiting - What a legend!

    ReplyDelete