Monday, 2 April 2012

Career Case Study - Rhiannon Philp

Where did you graduate and what are you doing now?

I first graduated from Cardiff University in 2009 with a BSc in Archaeology. I then stayed on to complete an MA in Archaeology, graduating in 2010. I currently work as an Archaeologist for a commercial company based in Cambridge.

 

When you graduated were you looking for a career in archaeology?

I’ve never been able to picture myself doing any other job. I was extremely lucky and landed myself a job in archaeology immediately after finishing my MA. I had sent out prospective CVs a few months prior and got a call asking me to start the following week. Unfortunately, as with most commercial contracts it was very short and I have spent the past two years in and out of short term contracts with a number of companies – even volunteering at one point. This I feel is a sacrifice worth taking if you can, as it can place you in the forefront of potential employers’ minds. In my case it has helped me gain an ongoing contract with my current employer, which is about as permanent as you can get in the current climate!

How has a degree in archaeology benefited your career?

My degree provided me with a lot of practical skills for use in the field. There were two months of compulsory excavation, as well as modules in geophysics, archaeological drawing, photography, computing and on site conservation to name a few. I was also provided with a good basis of knowledge in British Archaeology. There was a strong emphasis on team work as well as meeting deadlines and working to specific research objectives, all of which are important within commercial archaeology.   



Would you go back into Archaeology later down the line?

I am one of the lucky few who can say that their career is Archaeology and I am going to stay with it for as long as I can. The future is a little uncertain within the field and the money certainly isn’t good. I may have to come to terms with the fact that this isn’t a sensible long term career plan, but for the moment I’m pretty happy where I am.

1 comment:

  1. John from Cardiff3 April 2012 at 06:07

    Big fan of Rhiannon Philp!

    ReplyDelete