Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Hayley Forsyth - Career Interview

1. Where did you graduate and what are you doing now?I graduated in 2007 after studying for a BSc in archaeology from Bournemouth University, I then decided to stay on at Bournemouth and complete an MSc in osteoarchaeology. I'm now the Project Officer for Eastbourne Ancestors, a Heritage Lottery Funded project analysing over 300 human remains in Eastbournes collection with the help of volunteers, University students and academics.

2. When you graduated were you looking for a career in archaeology?Yes, I've wanted to work in archaeology from ever since I can remember, but the industry was already affected by the start of the recession in 2008 so this made things difficult. Instead I decided to start volunteering with local societies, working on my CPD and networking with professionals to build up my experience levels to make me more employable.

3. How has a degree in archaeology benefited your career?Having a degree in archaeology has given me the knowledge to understand the basics in the industry, I've then worked hard to expand my knowledge and gain experience in the field. A degree doesn't give me a free ticket to the top, I intend to work hard and start from the bottom, learning from the professionals on the way. Some professionals already working in archaeology have suggested that Universities close their courses, I would have been crushed had I not been able to study this subject at Uni as it's all I've ever wanted to do. As times are changing maybe Universities could offer more of an apprenticeship scheme with local commercial archaeology units to give students a taster of life in commercial archaeology.

4. Would you go back into Archaeology later down the line?I'm hoping to stay in archaeology now that I've got my first full time job, but if for some reason it doesn't work out I'll always try and get back into archaeology. I'm not in it for the money, I love archaeology.

No comments:

Post a Comment