Monday, 20 August 2012

Caroline Seawright - Archaeology Career Interview

We caught up with Caroline Seawright to ask her a few questions about her degree in Archaeology and what she's up to now...

Where did you graduate and what are you doing now?
I am currently in second year at La Trobe university, in the middle of my Bachelors of Archaeology. As a part time student, it will take at least two more years to complete, and then hopefully I will get into Honours. Until recently, I was working for an archaeology firm here in Victoria, Australia, unfortunately hard times hit and a number of us were retrenched this year. Right now, I am instead working as a social media and internet manager for a two-way radio company.
Caroline Seawright in action

When you graduated were you looking for a career in archaeology?I do hope to get into a career in archaeology once I graduate, which is why I am working towards getting into Honours after I complete my Bachelors degree. I am currently on the Civilisations stream, meaning most of my studies are centred around historic sites, including the Maya, Egypt and, of course, Australia. Most archaeology firms in Victoria do both Aboriginal and historic archaeology, as the job entails, so I have also taken some studies related to indigenous archaeology. Hopefully this should prepare me for getting a career in archaeology anywhere in the world!

What have been the highlights of your career/studies in Archaeology so far?Just being able to take part in archaeology at all is a thrill. I have always loved ancient history and to partake in the degree, with a role in archaeology at the end, is amazing. The first time I unearthed a tiny, complete bottle was very exciting. It felt like a direct connection to an individual from the past, more so than the assorted broken bits and pieces I had previously found. Whilst it was not as exciting or as exotic as working on a large scale dig, it will remain one of the highlights of my archaeological fieldwork. As for my academic studies in Archaeology, I have been fortunate enough to be a student of some very passionate and influential professors, such as Prof. Peter Mathews, whose love of the ancient Maya was contagious! However, nothing quite compares to unearthing an object, and feeling that connection with someone from long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment